Hill Start Assist On/Off
The following criteria must be met in order for HSA to activate:
- Vehicle must be stopped
- Vehicle must be on an 8% or greater incline (3% for manual transmission equipped vehicles)
- Gear selection matches vehicle uphill direction (i.e., vehicle facing uphill is in forward gear; vehicle backing uphill is in REVERSE gear).
The system will only work if the intended direction of the vehicle and vehicle gear match. For example, if the intended direction is forward up a hill and the vehicle is in DRIVE (automatic transmission equipped vehicle), and the activation criteria are met, HSA will activate.
HSA on Automatic Transmission Vehicles
The system will work in REVERSE, and all forward gears on vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. The system will not activate if the vehicle is placed in NEUTRAL.
HSA on Manual Transmission Vehicles
The system will work in REVERSE, forward gears, and NEUTRAL on manual transmission equipped vehicles. The system does not recognize NEUTRAL on manual vehicles, thus it will hold the vehicle on an incline for a short period while in NEUTRAL, regardless of clutch position. To prevent this, do not attempt to roll down a hill simply by putting the transmission in NEUTRAL and letting gravity act on the vehicle, as the HSA will prevent the vehicle from rolling. Instead, use the appropriate gear for moving in the desired direction.
Hill Start Assist On/Off Procedure
If you wish to turn off the HSA system, follow this
- Start with the engine off and vehicle in PARK (automatic transmission) or NEUTRAL with clutch out (manual transmission) with wheels straight. Apply parking brake on manual transmission vehicle.
- Start the engine.
- With the engine running, the brake applied, and the clutch out, rotate the steering wheel 180° counterclockwise from center.
- Press the ESC OFF switch four times within twenty seconds.
- Rotate the steering wheel 360° clockwise (180° clockwise from center).
- Cycle ignition switch OFF then ON.
- If the sequence was completed properly, the “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” will blink several times to confirm HSA is off.
Steps 1-7 must be completed within 90 seconds to turn off
HSA. Repeat steps 1-7 to re-enable HSA functionality.